Thursday, March 28, 2013

Cat puke and cancer screenings

Okay, so first of all, what is it about animals that makes them feel compelled to eat non-edible items and then proceed to puke them back up in my entry way or on the bamboo area rug under my dining table?!?

Because seriously.

It's gross.

Is this a feline thing?

Is my cat just extra-special stupid?

Is he a vindictive ass-hat who's doing it on purpose to make my life difficult?

At some point last night or the wee hours of this morning he ate three pieces of yarn and part of a Nerf dart, and clearly his little body didn't approve of that snack, and now I have a stain on my area rug that I'm still trying to figure out how to get rid of without ruining the hardwood floors underneath.

*grumblegrumble*

I'm contemplating using Spot Shot, because that stuff gets anything out of carpet.
                                                          

Seriously. Anything.

Tea, lentil soup, bloody nose, Crayola marker, mud/traffic stains, you name it, I've removed the stain with this stuff.

I'm just not sure if it'll hurt the wood floors, and I'm a little hesitant to risk it....

Stupid cat.

ANYWAY!!!

I mentioned awhile back about being somewhat of a vegetarian. I used to be really good at it, and in the last several months I've gotten a little too lax about it. When life gets busy it's easy to fall into a pattern of what is easy, rather than what is healthy.

And suffice it to say I've definitely been feeling the effects of falling off the veggie-saurus wagon.

See, the whole reason I quit eating meat in the first place was because for several years I'd been having digestive "issues", and couldn't figure out why. I tried cutting out caffeinated beverages, fried foods, dairy, wheat, all the usual suspects, and with only limited improvement. Then, when I cut out meat, BAM! Instant improvement.

And thus my veggie-saurus-ness was born.

I am someone who is probably more aware of my digestive patterns than most. I can't help it, it's ingrained in me at this point.

My dad died of colon cancer when I was 16.

At first, I didn't really know much about it or make a point to learn. I think I was in denial about the whole thing and it took me a few years to work through all that (but that's a whole blog post unto itself, so we'll discuss that another time).

Finally, the more I came to accept what happened, the more I was willing to learn about colon cancer. Signs, symptoms, prevention, all that jazz.

So I am aware of the need for high fiber intake. I know that diets high in Vitamin D3 aid significantly in prevention and during treatment, and that D3 deficiencies have been linked to various cancers, specifically colorectal cancers. I know that red meats, processed meats, and charred meats are directly linked to colorectal cancers. And I know the red flags that something has gone awry in your guts.

And right now, I am experiencing some of those red flags.

Now, I'm not in some panicked tizzy thinking that I totally have cancer or anything like that. I haven't had... ahem... blood... you know... back there... and that's usually the first big sign that you likely have colon cancer.

So I'm not freaking out.

But my digestive patterns have been, shall we say, less than ideal lately. In the opposite way as what they used to be like. And the weird thing is that even in doing all of the things that normally get things back on track- drinking plenty of water, eating lots of fiber-rich foods, regular exercise, etc- it hasn't helped. To the point of being in physical discomfort on a regular basis.

So I'm going in to see a gastroenterologist next month. I'm curious what they will say. I'm assuming a colonoscopy is on the table, though I don't know if they will jump directly to that or try other approaches first. This is all new to me, man, so I have no idea what to expect.

For now I'll keep on keeping on, trying to rebalance my digestive system and get back to my happy place.

Oh yeah, and drinking my daily glass of MetaMucil, as per my doctor's suggestion.

Because I have the guts of a 70 year old, clearly



No comments:

Post a Comment