Saturday, February 23, 2013

Veggie-saurus Rex

I have been a vegetarian for approximately four or five years now, though lately, I must admit, I've been a really lousy veggie-saurus. It's something I have been struggling with since September.

The kids started back to school, my school started shortly thereafter, the holidays snuck up on me, and pretty soon it was macaroni and cheese, pizza, and takeout. There have even been a few trips to McDonald's wedged in there. And today we had Taco Time for lunch....

I know!

It's terrible!

I fully understand how gross and unhealthy it is. I'm one of those people who try and hide their face as they go through the drive thru, and then hide the bags when I get home so my neighbors don't see them and judge me for eating crap.

I figure, if I'm that ashamed of it, I shouldn't be eating it right? Of course right.

But you know what, sometimes life with kids gets a little crazy. Add in full-time school and it gets even crazier. And so I go for what's easy. And what's easiest is usually absolute garbage.

Hence my predicament.

So I'm making a point to get back on the straight and narrow and start eating right again.

See, there are a few reasons why I quit eating meat to begin with.

First of all, because I was tired of feeling lousy all the time. I'd been sick for a few years, and when I cut out meat I suddenly started feeling much better. I had previously tried cutting out dairy, junk food, soda, and sugar, but to no avail. I cut out meat, and BAM, instantly better! Apparently I just don't digest it well?

The second reason is more personal.

Reader's digest version- my dad died of colon cancer when I was 16.

Colon cancer is genetic, but it is also affected largely by diet. In fact it is, to my knowledge, the only cancer that has been directly linked to diet- specifically red meat, processed meats, and anything charred.

So yeah, I probably need to get back on track. Partly so I go back to feeling better (definitely regretting that Taco Time), but mostly to cut my cancer risks and not have it floating around in the back of my mind.

I'm not going to live my life in fear and the 'what ifs', I totally agree with enjoying yourself (within reason).

But I also need to face reality and treat my body better so that I can be here for decades to come. My dad got sick when he was 40. I'm 29. I go in for the colonoscopy later on this year.

Time to put my big girl panties on and face it, methinks.


No comments:

Post a Comment