Monday, March 4, 2013

Quarters, Comic Con, and Queens

Hey hey!

I'm back! I know, I've been gone a few days. Things have been crazy busy around here.

The end of winter quarter is approaching, which means one thing- assignment loading.

Yes, that lovely time of the quarter when teachers start packing in as many papers, projects, and reading assignments as possible. And the one thing I've noticed that seems to be across the board, regardless of the course, the individual instructor, or the time of year?

All teachers seem to forget that their students are taking other classes.

'What?!? My class isn't the center of the scholastic universe?!?'

And by forgetting that, all teachers end up stacking their course schedules at exactly the same time.

Hence my absence for the last few days. I've been trying to salvage my sanity and maintain my exemplary GPA.

(3.95 in case you were wondering)

Besides that, the weekend was also busy for other reasons.

First, my oldest son went to Emerald City Comic Con for the first time. He went with my sister and, suffice it to say, his little geek mind was blown! He didn't know what to expect, and I think initially he was nervous, but he had a blast and is now hooked. I would expect him to be a regular attendee from now on.

The following day, my daughter and I went with my mom to the Northwest Women's Show. I've been going with my mom for over 10 years now, and it's always something we look forward to. There are countless booths with jewelry, clothes, skin care, health and nutrition, food samples, home and garden stuff, business information, you name it.

The whole point is to eat, shop, eat some more, and then shop some more.

What more could a girl want?!?

This year I came away with a couple of scarves (my accessory of choice), a few pairs of earrings, a couple of necklaces, and a cute halter sun dress. Definitely one of my lighter years, but this year not as much "called out" to me. Last year... well... let's just say I went a little nuts. They had some goooood stuff last year!

One fun thing that did come of the weekend though was solidifying plans for my mom's 50th birthday, which is coming up this spring. I've been wanting to plan something fun and special for her, but she's not one of those foofey, fancy-dinner-and-gifts-and-invite-everyone-she-knows kind of women. I mean, she'll take the gifts! But she's not so much about the big ritzy party.

So I needed to find something more to her taste.

And I did!

Julia's on Broadway/Le Faux!!!!!

It's this restaurant in downtown Seattle, and I've heard the food is amazing.

But then!?!

Every Friday and Saturday night they put on the most amazing celebrity impersonation/drag show.

Every year they have a booth at the women's show, and my mom has been talking about going for years, but never committed to it. These guys are amazing. Their makeup, the body language, even the voices- they're dead ringers for the celebrities they are impersonating. It's mind boggling.

And I have mad respect for any man who looks better as a woman than, you know, actual women.

So I'm taking mom for her birthday!!!!

I'm so ridiculously excited.

One, because it'll be fun to go do that with my mom.

Two, because it gives me an excuse to go to the show!

And three, because let's face it, I love me some drag queens!


No comments:

Post a Comment