Friday, May 31, 2013

Home, home on the range...???

So things have been... interesting around here, so say the least. Remember awhile back when I mentioned that pesky gypsy wind was wreaking havoc with my status quo?

Well she came back.

In gale force.

And my life is about to be turned completely upside down.

Let me explain.

So back when I wrote that blog post, I had been searching and applying The Husband for jobs for several months. He has been unhappy with his current employer for awhile now, ever since they made some, shall we say, douche-y decisions. So I started looking around the greater Seattle area.

Local city governments, school districts, hospitals, major businesses, small businesses, utility companies, you name it I checked it out.

Now, The Husband has been in the IT industry for over 15 years now, and in probably any other part of the country that experience and expertise would be in demand. But not in Seattle.

IT people are a dime a dozen around here, and employers either want the entry-level tech who will work for $12 an hour, or someone who holds three Master's and two Doctorate's. There's nothing in between. Combine that with the fact that Boeing is getting ready to do a major layoff of thousands- yes, thousands- of IT people, and the odds become stacked even more against you.

So I branched out.

San Francisco. Portland. British Columbia.

More of the same. Too few jobs being competed for by too many overly qualified IT people.

I even devised a hair-brained scheme to move to the incredibly beautiful but incredibly tiny town of Joseph, Oregon. Why? Because it's pretty. Are there jobs there? NOPE! Their industry dried up years ago, so unless you are an established small-business owner, you're out of luck.

This is where the culmination of my frustration turned into the blog post about wanting the gypsy wind to take me away.

All I can say is, be careful what you wish for!

Shortly after that, my aunt suggested looking at the hospital in her city. She had heard they were hiring for IT, and sure enough, they were! So I applied The Husband, assumed it would be more of the same, and forgot all about it.

Until they called. And I began to panic.

Because the hospital where my aunt lives?

It's in Cheyenne. As in WYOMING.

Yeah...

Fast forward to today, and my life sits on this giant precipice above a gnarling torrent of chaos.

That sounds a bit dramatic, eh? But it's so true. The offer that the hospital presented to The Husband was... incredible, to say the least. Too good to turn down. Husband gave his current employer a chance to counter the offer, and they did. However, the counter offer was nothing more than a token gesture, and was actually a bit insulting when you consider that he has given them his blood, sweat, and tears over the years.

So we're moving halfway across the country.

I don't think it has fully sunk in yet. It seems surreal to me. And let's just say that no one is really taking it well. My family isn't speaking to me. Husband's family is split- some are excited for us, some are pissed. Our friends are all heartbroken, but they have all promised to come visit regularly. And naturally we will be back up here to visit as well.

But still. It's a huge move. And it's scary, and sad. But it's also a really good thing.

By the way, did you know that Wyoming has antelope?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment