Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Fallout

So a few days ago I published a quick little blog post about Katie Vyktoriah, her Walmart story, and the larger issue of intolerance in this country.

Suffice it to say, I didn't not expect the backlash I got from it!

I was called names, I was challenged for lending my apparent support to her story, random strangers felt compelled to inform me of all the ways I was wrong.

But here's the thing. They missed the freaking point.

The central theme for that post was the culture of intolerance that has become somehow acceptable in this country. People feel justified in expressing or forcing their opinion on you in whatever way they see fit, and it is somehow okay. Because freedom.

And believe me, the irony did not escape me that the same people who are commenting on my blog telling me that I am ignorant or gullible or stupid or what have you because I believed this woman's story, are then turning around and expecting me to believe them that she is a pathological liar.

Classic!

My original post wasn't even focused on Katie's story. That was the jumping off point, yes, but it went beyond that. My point was on the intolerance described within her story, and the fact that said intolerance is a real, ugly truth that people face every single day.

If Katie Vyktoriah did lie about this whole thing, then that's disgusting.

If she didn't lie, and some man really did accost her young child because of a headband, then that's disturbing.

But either way, the central theme to it all was the intolerance of someone not liking what someone else was doing/wearing/thinking and forcing their personal beliefs on that individual in order to "help them".

You know, like the trolls did to me.

I went ahead and deleted the original post, because it was generating more heat than it was even worth. Two paragraphs, people. Two paragraphs are not worth verbally abusing a stranger.

But thanks for simultaneously proving my point!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go back to my tiny little blog that has never received this kind of traffic, and go back to writing posts that only my grandpa and best friends will likely read.

Peace, bitches!

No comments:

Post a Comment