Friday, August 2, 2013

Faking fajitas

Okay.

So I know my posts have been a little food obsessed lately.

But here's another one.

Because my makeshift chicken and black bean fajitas?

Ohmygodtheyweresogood!!!

I'm not gonna lie, I was a little nervous about them. Because I'm not really that throw-random-ingredients-together-and-presto-gourmet-meal kind of cook.

I'm more of a follow-the-recipe-exactly-the-first-few-times-and-eventually-start-perosnalizing-it.

The Husband?

He's like the freaking Iron Chef.

Hand him some random ingredients, give him 20 minutes, and POOF, you have yourself a gourmet meal that always tastes great.

(Well, except for the one time with the homemade steak marinade that ended up tasting like feet and bandaids. But that was a one-off)

I've always been a recipe follower. Except for garlic. I always- ALWAYS- add extra garlic. Because I don't believe there is such a thing as too much garlic.

But I digress.

So last night, I was nervous about the fajitas, and truly had very low expectations for them.

But you know what?!?

I Iron-Chef-ed those bitches!

Sarah's Chicken and Black Bean Fajitas

1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Approximately 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (I used three large ones, I'm guessing they were about one pound)
1 lime
1 medium onion, sliced into strips
2 bell peppers, sliced into strips
1 15 oz can reduced sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
Sea salt (to taste)
Fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
Garlic powder (to taste)
Taco seasoning (approx. 1/2 cup seasoning to 1 1/2 cups water- I didn't really measure)

I salted and peppered both sides of the chicken breasts, then sliced them into thin strips. I heated the olive oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat, then added the chicken. I sprinkled the chicken with more sea salt, and ample garlic powder and let it cook, stirring occasionally.

Once the chicken was mostly cooked, I rolled the lime under my palm to release the juices, then cut it in half and squeezed the juice out over the cooking chicken (and added a bit more garlic, because that's how I roll).

Once the chicken was fully cooked, I added the bell peppers and onion, and sautéed it all until the veggies were tender-crisp. Then I poured in the black beans and the mixed taco seasoning, stirred, and let it simmer until it was thick and bubbly.

Et voila!

Serve with a bit of grated cheddar and your favorite toppings as desired. I didn't even add salsa or anything to mine though, because it was that flavorful!

No comments:

Post a Comment