Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Anyone think to bring a parachute?

So yesterday afternoon was "hanging on in quiet desperation".

Today?

Spiraling into a pit of gloom with nary a 'chute in site.

Never felt as connected to Wile E. Coyote as I do today

Everything was just smooth sailing so far. The Husband got the amazing job. Our house sold in one day. We found the house we want to buy down there. Easy peasy lemon squeezy, right?

Nope.

Not even close.

First, late yesterday afternoon we realized that our real estate agent had screwed up and that we weren't going to be getting back the amount of money from the sale of this house that we had been told and had been banking on as part of the down payment for the Cheyenne house.

Cue the panic.

Then, we find out that while we are "technically" pre-approved, we need to "take care of the medical debt".

Erm.... excuse you? What medical debt?!?

Seven years ago we spent the summer up in Alaska (long story, maybe someday I'll tell it) and while we were there The Husband got severe kidney stones. Well we didn't have insurance at the time, so we walked away with over $30,000 in medical debt. 

Yes kids, 30k. 

Hooray for the American medical system, amiright?

Well over the next few years I worked my ass off to chip away at it, and as of when we bought our house almost two years ago, everything had been paid off or forgiven. No medical debt in sight.

So what the hell happened?!?

I have no freaking clue. This debt popped back up on our credit recently, and we have no idea why. It should have been taken care of years ago, it wasn't on there until recently even though it lists it as being from seven years ago, and the biggest problem is when The Husband called to get it straightened out, the people handling it were complete assholes. And continue to be.

We have been trying in good faith to get it squared away, and they're just being bullies. It's unnecessary. 

We called you. You didn't call us, we called you in an effort to get this taken care of. And yet you're going to be dickwads about it?!?

*grumblegrumblegrumble*

So after a fury of phone calls and scrambling, it looked liked we had gotten everything straightened out. Our agent fixed the issue, so we will still end up getting the amount we had been assured, which was a huge relief. Then the Alaska debt people seemed willing to play ball, and it looked like that was going to be taken care of. 

We went to bed last night feeling like things were back in place.

And then this morning?

Fuck my life.

Everything fell to shit again, and I'm doing everything in my power to not lose my mind and flop in a heap on the floor and cry hysterically. I don't know whether I'm angry or sad or what, my emotions are all jumbled right now.


While we are still going to get the money out of our house, there may not be the Cheyenne house we want after all. The builders won't accept a contingency-based offer, so we can't even offer on the house until our Washington house closes, which is in July. So we may miss out entirely before then. 

*fingers crossed our house closes early!*

On top of that, the deal we thought we had worked out with the Alaska debt people was thrown back at us. I'm sorry, but anyone who refuses to put anything in writing?!? Shady as hell. Bottom line. I don't know what the deal is with this company, but they are not operating on any sort of proper and professional level. I'm seeing a lawyer in our future, because I don't trust these people!

So as of right now, I have no idea where we stand. We are flying down to Cheyenne next week, and the original plan was to make the official offer on the house down there and get the kids' schools figured out and all that.

Now?

*shrug*

We can't offer on the house until this house closes. And our financing won't go through until this debt thing is squared away (which is stupid, because we have really good credit, and clearly this randomly posted debt isn't affecting our ability to pay AT ALL, but whatevs. Yay bullshit government red tape.)

So we're stuck.


I'm at a loss. What do you do when life is out of your control? What do you do when people are being stubborn asshats and needlessly digging their heels in (even though it does them no good and they are clearly the ones in the wrong), simply because they want to be difficult? I don't understand it. 

Sometimes it sucks being an optimist, because then you're even more crushed when people act like douchecanoes. (Worse than a douchebag, less interesting than a douchewaffle)

So now when we fly down to Cheyenne next week, I guess we plan on seeing rental houses instead? There's no telling how quickly this will all be settled, and I'm sorry, but I'm not cramming my kids into an apartment. I can't even fathom that right now.

I still know that moving down there is a good move, I'm not doubting that. I just had a sneaking suspicion that things were going TOO easily. 

I hate that I was right.

So about that parachute...


No comments:

Post a Comment